Promoting mental health within the Ismaili community – an innovative pilot project that has national implications.
Attendees will learn about:
· A mental health partnership project between the Ismaili Council of BC and the CMHA BC Division
· An evidenced-based mental health promotion project that resulted in members signing up for an 8 week course – Living Life to the Full
· The role of volunteerism as a core value of the Ismaili community and how that has contributed to the success of the program
· Support from the community to embrace the program as a core national mental health program within the Ismaili community
· How this pilot fits within the Mental Health Strategy of the Ismaili Council of Canada
The Centre for Suicide Prevention will to present a session on Straight Talk: Youth Suicide Prevention workshop for youth aged 12-24, and Tattered Teddies: Suicide Prevention in Children under the age of 12. An overview of both the workshops will be presented, followed by a case study to illustrate some of the principles covered within the workshop.